- Although the industry belief is that Carlos Beltran will sign with the Yankees, the Royals are interested in signing the outfielder. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star tweeted this, "OF Carlos Beltran appears to top Royals' revised offseason wish list." Dutton, in a second tweet, said that it is a long shot that Beltran signs with Kansas City, but the interest is real. Beltran, 37 in April, hit .296/.339/.491 in 145 games with St. Louis in 2013.
- Free agent pitcher Bronson Arroyo will be meeting with the New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson within the next few days, according to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish. He's drawn the most interest from the Twins and Mets, while the Angels and Yankees could possibly be in play. Arroyo will be 37 in 2014. He went 14-12 with a 3.79 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP in 32 starts with the Cincinnati Reds in 2013.
- The Mets also took a look at free agent SS Rafael Furcal. But, their interest never picked up due to injury concerns. The Red Sox, Marlins, Nationals, Rockies, and Pirates have shown interest as well, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes (hat tip to Robert Murray of Sports Injury Alert).
- The Rays have signed Juan Carlos Oviedo to a one-year Major League contract, according to reports. Formerly known as Leo Nunez, Oviedo has not pitched in the Major Leagues since 2011 (1-4, 4.06 ERA, 36 Saves). In 2013, Oviedo spent the entire season rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.
- Relief pitcher Edward Mujica has drawn interest from multiple teams, the Phillies, Cubs, Orioles, and Indians included. The former Cardinals closer is expected to receive a deal similar to the deal given to Angels Joe Smith, who signed a 3-year, $16 million contract. Expect Mujica to make a decision within the next few days. He went 2-1 with a 2.78 ERA in 65 games in 2013. He also added 37 saves.
- Buster Olney of ESPN believes that the Mariners will sign Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, or Matt Garza to bolster their pitching staff.
- In order to acquire Jeff Samardzija, the Diamondbacks would have to include another team, according to Tom Loxas of Chicago Now (another hat tip to Robert Murray). The Blue Jays and Nationals are the other two teams that have shown a lot of interest in the pitcher.
- Hanley Ramirez told ESPN Deportes that he's negotiating an extension with Dodgers. "Step by step" was the term he used to describe the negotiations.
- The Rockies top free agent target this winter is first baseman Justin Morneau, reports Troy Renck of the Denver Post. They hope to get a deal done before the winter meetings. Morneau hit .259/.323/.411 in 152 games with the Twins and Pirates in 2013.
Some news, notes, and rumors from today...